Did you know that there are an estimated 47.5 million dementia sufferers worldwide? Further more, a new case of dementia is diagnosed every four seconds. What is this disorder and what causes it? Continue reading to find out!
What is Dementia?
Dementia is a syndrome, not a specific disease. It is a collective term used to describe various symptoms of cognitive decline, such as forgetfulness, inability to think clearly and communication impairment. Dementia is a symptom of several underlying diseases and brain disorders.
While the likelihood of having dementia increases with age, it is not a normal part of aging.
What Causes Dementia?
Dementia can be caused by many things, but progressive brain cell death is the leading cause associated with most dementia patients. However, it can also be caused by a head injury, stroke, brain tumor, disease or infection.
A person with dementia may show any of the symptoms listed below, mostly due to memory loss. Some symptoms they may notice themselves, others may only be noticed by caregivers or healthcare workers.
The signs used to compile this list are published by the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) in the journal American Family Physician.
Possible symptoms of dementia include:
- Recent memory loss– a sign of this might be asking the same question repeatedly.
- Difficulty completing familiar tasks– for example, making a drink or cooking a meal.
- Problems communicating– difficulty with language; forgetting simple words or using the wrong ones.
- Disorientation– getting lost on a previously familiar street, for example.
- Problems with abstract thinking– for instance, dealing with money.
- Misplacing things– forgetting the location of everyday items such as keys, or wallets, for example.
- Mood changes– sudden and unexplained changes in outlook or disposition.
- Personality changes– perhaps becoming irritable, suspicious or fearful.
- Loss of initiative– showing less interest in starting something or going somewhere.
Do you have a loved one or family member that you think may suffer from dementia? Arizona Integrative Medical Center offers natural dementia care practices! Dr. Stallone’s main focus is to listen and understand the underlying cause of an individual’s illness, which is usually a combination of nutritional, structural, emotional, chemical, and lifestyle factors. For more information, or to schedule a consultation, please contact us today!